Thursday, August 11, 2011

Comic Books of the Week (8/10/11) part 1

Let's hit the Flashpoint books first this week:

Flashpoint: Citizen Cold #3 (of 3) - I was kind of disappointed with the second act of this mini last month after enjoying the opening volley. The finale here redeemed things a bit. Scott Kolins does grim and gritty villains well, and this book has a ton of them. All your favorite Rogues are here: Cold, Weather Wizard, the new Trickster, Mirror Master, the Pied Piper as well as Tarpit and Fallout. Iris West learns the truth about Central City's "supposed hero" and the book comes to a gratifying ending.

Flashpoint: Emperor Aquaman #3 (of 3) - I felt my stomach turning in knots as the book jumped back and forth between flashbacks and present day. I get that the issue had to resolve the plot of who was behind the war and how they deceived everyone, but the whole mini was like that. Learn how to tell a story straight-forward. Show, don't tell. That's Writing 101. And, of course, it all ends in issues 4 and 5 of Flashpoint, the first part which came out before this issue - way to ruin things there, DC. Poor editorial control over the mini.

Booster Gold #47 - the final issue of the series and final part of the Flashpoint "tie-in". I put that in quotes because, for me, it was a waste. Booster spent the entire time screwing around with Doomsday. I would rather have seen him be a key part in the resolution of the event - showing Barry how much of a hero he could be. Instead, we get poorly worked finale with only a few pages in the real FP action and then Booster fails. This made me sad. Of course, I should have expected the worst when Dan Jurgens couldn't do the art for this final issue. We only get a few pages from him near the end. I am very disappointed with this one.

No comments: