Friday, June 3, 2011

Comic Books of the Week (6/1/11) part 1

With Flashpoint kicking in this week for the summer, I'm going to break my weekly reviews between those in the regular line and those in that alternate reality. On to the regular stuff:

Adventure Comics #527 - this issue spotlights Comet Queen with her telling her origin story. Paul Levitz does a brilliant job on this issue, adding layers to a classic character. I love that she's got a thing for Bouncing Boy, I love her "irrational" thought process, I love that she has a heart, and I love how it is explained why she's back at the Legion Academy. The art by Geraldo Borges and Marlo Alquiza is solid too. A great companion to the regular Legion book. I will miss this one when the series ends its run.

Secret Six #34 - another fantastic issue from Gail Simone and J. Calafiore. I love how the team handles the scumbag who kidnapped Scandal's new love. I love how Bane's date played out. This creative team shows how far these dark characters will go to protect the ones they care about. I really like to see when "villainous" characters are shown to have so many facets to them. Well done indeed. I really hope this book and this creative team survives intact come September's relaunch of books. It is perfect the way it is and does not need any retooling.

No comments: