Friday, March 4, 2011

Comic Books of the Week (3/2/11)

Giant-Size Atom #1 - this one-shot special finishes up the storyline from the Atom back-up feature that was running in Adventure Comics. DC cut out the back-up features on books when they went down to $2.99 leaving this tale stuck in the middle. I have to say that this was just an average conclusion to an average run. I appreciate that Lemire was trying to come up some new advesaries for the Atom, and pulling Hawkman for a guest-star in the end probably helped but it was just so-so for me. To make the Atom interesting you have to make it brilliant.

Brightest Day #21 (of 24) - full focus on the Martian Manhunter as his story arc ends and he joins the others for the final event. Gotta say that of all the arcs, the one featuring J'Onn was my least favorite. It just didn't do anything big for me. I love the character, love him in team environments. I think I just don't like him enough solo. Ah well.

Green Lantern #63 - the prologue to the "War of the Green Lanterns" arc. While I like the further fleshing out of Krona this issue seemed slow to me. I'm hoping for a big pick up soon - especially with the GL movie coming out.

Secret Six #31 - outstanding issue from Gail Simone and J. Calafiore. The Six is back after a few cross-over arcs, back to what they are doing best - in-fighting. I am so looking forward to their time in Hell - it always brings out the best and worst in characters. Is it next month yet?

John Byrne's Next Men #4/34 - so now we get a little back story of what happened between series and how the various members of the group got lost in time. This is typical Byrne to throw in the flashback as an issue, just when folks have so many questions, without any fanfare or anything else. I've gotten used to his irregular story-board flow over the years yet it sometimes throws you off for a second or two. Still, loving that this book is back.

No comments: