Wednesday, May 7, 2008

American Idol 2008 - Top 4 Performances

Well, that was simply a mixed bag mess! The singers got to chose from the music catalog of the Rock 'N' Roll Hall of Fame, meaning pretty much a wide open book of top selling and performing artists from the 50's through the early 80's. What they end up with was interesting indeed.

I'm putting Syesha and David Archuleta in a tie for top position this week. I thought one of each's songs were the top of a round with the other in second. Vocally, they gave pleasant performances.

David Cook, sadly, dropped to position three this week for me. First was choice on song one. "Hungry Like the Wolf"? Seriously? Oh boy. Next, "Baba O'Reilly" - good choice but hard to cut down nicely into a minute forty five performance. It was just uneven. I am sure the full-length version rocked nicely. But judging what I saw on the show, not so much.

Bottom of the list - Jason Castro. Honestly, I think he was seriously trying to get out this week. His Bob Marley "I Shot the Sheriff" was all over the place - like he and Bob had been sharing some smoke pre-show. Round two - his Bob Dylan "Mr. Tambourine Man" would have been okay - but he forgot the lyrics! You don't do that at this stage in the game. You just don't.

Based on all this, Jason should be out this week. Judging on the voting public, I honestly wouldn't put money on it being a good bet. This season has been so unpredictable. Tonight will tell the tale.

No comments: