Monday, November 12, 2007

Mighty Sore

Well, it's a good thing it is a holiday today - and that I took a vacation day to be home with my son who is off from school. After the weekend I've had so far, I'm ready to just kick back and do nothing today.

It started of Saturday morning after the cable guy left. While my son had his tennis at the YMCA, my wife and I went inside to work out. I did my usual 45 minutes on the cross-training machine. Lots of leg and arm work. I enjoy that workout routine, even if I only get it in once a week.

After we got home, showered and changed, it was back in the car. We drove the hour to one of the shopping malls near Charlotte. My son needed long pants since he outgrew his ones from last year. So, we walked the mall - for about four or so hours. Okay, walking is good. No problem.

Woke up Sunday morning a little sore, but I had to suck it up. My wife wanted us to have a few hours on a family activity for Sunday, so around 10:30am we took off and drove to South Mountain nature park. Now, one of the pluses of living in Hickory is being close to a lot of wonderful nature in this part of North Carolina. The mountains are very close, and the leaves are still in the color changing phase so it was a perfect time to go.

Well, we first did the walk of about 3/4 of a mile to the various trail starts. That was flat - no problem. Then we started on the trail up to the falls. Lots of rocks, roots, rises and such. After about an hour, we got to the look-out point below the falls. That was a good run for our first trip, and then we started back. In total, we walked for a good two hours. Not sure how far - I'm thinking a couple miles easy. Whew.

So, today, I'm doing nada. Sitting on my butt in front of the computer or TV. Maybe I'll get a nap in too.

No comments: