Sunday, November 11, 2007

...Long Live the DVR

On Thursday I told you how our old DVR went on the fritz. Well, the cable guy came yesterday morning. Yup, it was dead.

Good news is he brought us a replacement DVR. Yeah! I can't tell you how different our house was without a working cable box in the family room this week. My wife and I spent a lot of time doing other things - mostly on the computer. It is nice to have the box back.

The bad news is that it is not a MOXI box which we were used to. It is still a Motorola box, but it does not have the same interfaces. To trade off, though, the hard drive is twice as large.

The program search is a bit harder to set up. The program record functions are missing the option of "first run only" - it has "new episodes" instead. Now, that's pretty much the same for network shows, but it gets dicey on cable shows that run the new episodes multiple times a week. I guess I have to watch what I set for series recording now on.

I had to, of course, re-enter our recording schedule as this was a new box. Side effect of all this: in asking my wife if she wanted the soaps added back in, she said no. She liked not feeling the 'pressure' to watch what was recorded. If they weren't there, oh well. So, that frees up time on our schedules a lot.

And I liked that the cable guy hit our house fifteen minutes after 8. When they give the block of 8-12, it is usually my luck to get the last appointment of the day. We got the first and that allowed for us to have more time with our Saturday scheduled events. That was a nice way to start the day too.

No comments: