Sunday, November 25, 2007

Comics of the Week (11/21/07)

Action Comics #859 - this is part two of the Superman/LSH arc. Geoff Johns is really working hard to restore the past continuity that was wiped out between these characters back in the late 80's, and I am loving it! I would so pick up a monthly LSH title with these characters - things are that intriguing. This is a storyline that should not be missed.

Batman and the Outsiders #1 - this first issue of a new team book takes on the name of a classic comic titles from the 80's. Like that former book, Batman now leads a team that takes on missions that he and the Justice League can't. It is definitely more of a cut-throat, espionage type of book. While the first issue was okay, I don't know if I'll continue to pick it up or not.

Countdown to Final Crisis #23 - once more we focus on Superman-Prime with the same art and writing team as last week. S-P gets a little payback for his actions, or at the very least some major derailment of his plans.

Countdown to Mystery #3 - more on the trippy Dr. Fate written by Steve Gerber, and the back-up series featuring Eclipso and the side effects of her corruption of others. I have to admit, I am enjoying this mini-series a lot more thanks to the back-up. I guess I like the idea of getting two features in one book as well - it reminds me of the old anthology books I grew up on.

Legion of Super-Heroes in the 31st Century #8 - another fun issue of the animated LSH. This one shows the beginnings of the Bouncing Boy/Triplicate Girl relationship that many of us old-time Legion fans remember from the 60's and 70's. The book puts a nice spin on it for a new generation, which is really a strength of this book.



the Brave and the Bold #8 - Waid and Perez are back for another outstanding issue in this series. This is a done-in-one with Flash and the Doom Patrol. It spins out of events from the Flash book which Waid is writing (a book I dropped mostly due to the art but also the slow story telling). Here Waid's use of the Flash's kids are enjoyable. I guess Perez's art makes them more easy to take. Then again, Perez can draw anything and I'd love it! The framing pages with the Challengers of the Unknown and the Book of Destiny is also intriquing. I'm betting this all culminates in issue #12 which is supposed to be Perez's last on art. I hope he's having too much fun and stays longer.

No comments: