Sunday, June 15, 2008

June 2008 vacation - part 3


Friday was going to be our best weather day on our trip, thus that is the day we earmarked for our trek to Splash Country.

Now, I have to tell you that my family loves water parks. We've been to them in Virginia, Florida and even Palm Springs. It is a great way to have fun in the sun and keep cool. And Dolly's Splash Country ranks as good as any we've been to.

We spent a good while in the Mountain Waves, a 25,000 square foot wave pool. My son and I would get inflatable rings and have races to see who could ride the waves to the shallow end the fastest.

As a family, we enjoyed both the Big Bear Plunge and Raging River Rapids, two twisting and turning white water rafting rides. Even when you end up riding down backwards as I often found myself doing, it was a blast. The Mountain Scream body slide was a lot of fun as well - shooting straight down a wild ride with just you and the slide.

Our favorite though had to be the Downbound Float Trip, a lazy river floating experience where you just have to hop on a tube and let the river do the rest. Very relaxing and just what I needed on a vacation - time to unwind. I can't tell you how many circuits we made on that.

Only downside - I think it is time I move from SPF15 to SPF30 sunscreen. Come Saturday morning, I had the signs of a wicked sunburn on my back. Ouch. Ah well. You play, you pay.

After the water park, we hit a local place called the Blue Moose for some wings and burgers. A wonderful, low-key restaurant in Pidgeon Forge that has a marvelous waitstaff. Definitely a winner with us.

No comments: