Sunday, June 7, 2009

DVD review - Buffy season 5/Angel season 2 episodes 4

Continuing my viewing and reviewing of Buffy the Vampire Slayer season 5 and Angel season 2...

*** SPOILERS ***

B5-4: Out of My Mind (written by Rebecca Rand Kirshner, airdate 10/17/00)

A new writer name to the pool with this episode. Her debut takes on two big threads: Riley's relationship with Buffy and how he fits in, and Spike's big problem with the neutralizing chip in his head. These two story lines come crashing together in a way that leads to a big couples fight: Buffy vs. Spike and Riley vs. Harmony. But those two aren't the big parts of the episode. The first comes early on when Joyce has a lapse and wonders who Dawn is before collapsing (aren't we all wondering that?). The second comes at the very end when Spike awakes from a dream/nightmare when he realizes what his true feelings for Buffy are. These two things are really going to propel the season further along. Other great moments: the gang working together to help fix up the Magic Shop and a suitable place for Buffy to train, and the whole dialogue during the surgery on Spike's head. Harmony is so much fun as a character in this new capacity.


A2-4: Untouched (written by Mere Smith, airdate 10/17/00)

Another new writer (must have been try-out night on FOX). This time we find out that Wolfram and Hart has another pet project. Lilah is trying to turn telekinetic Bethany into an assassin for the firm, unbeknownst to the girl. Angel and company instead get involved, and we have a story that involves a rape victim overcoming her situation and finding her inner strength. Things I liked about this episode: Cordelia again looking out for Gunn by wanting to pay him, she and Wesley bickering, Darla and her deliciously evil ways of influencing Angel's dreams and pretty much how the entire investigation team works well together, each doing what they do best. The pacing near the end was a bit slow - lots of set up and a very quick resolution. Pulling the father out of the blue to "pull the trigger" just seemed too convenient for the firm. Bethany should have let him splat on the sidewalk. Not sure if we'll see her again in the future - not sure I see a lot of potential in her showing up again other than in just a very very small supportive role. The character didn't thrill me.

2 comments:

Michael O'Connell said...

ANGEL (haven't gotten to the Buffy yet. I tend to watch Angel over dinner in the living room, and Buffy in bed when I turn in, and I'm sometimes just up too late to get to the Buffy and want the sleep instead). Yeah, didn't care for this ep. I see what they were trying to go for, the big empowerment thing of overcoming an abusive childhood. The problem was that I just didn't like the actress. At all. She bugged me. And that ruined most of it for me. And yes, the build-up moved to a resolution too quickly for me (the whole "You can do stuff to me" scene seemed to come out of the blue and be rushed, just like the return of dad). The good stuff involved more Lilah (always a good thing...loooove her, no matter how evil she is) and more of the seductive Darla dreaming manipulating Angel. They're doing a good job pacing this subplot out. Nah, not thrilled with it. Forgettable. I'll spoil this for you - don't worry, we've seen the last of TK girl. Just like with the Bai Ling character last season, they tried something, it didn't work, and they moved on.

Martin Maenza said...

Dinner with Angel - how cool. Gives you a routine. I'll try to keep up on a nightly basis so you can watch that way too. ;)

I agree - the actress playing psyche girl didn't do anything for me either. So glad to hear we won't see her again. I hated her almost as much as I hated Bai Ling's character. Glad they're both not coming back. Why waste time?