Monday, September 3, 2007

Just Another Monday

While most folks are relaxing today, doing their end of summer celebrations for Labor Day, some people do have to work. I fall into that category.

I've worked in relationship to the retail sector my entire professional career since I graduated college (nineteen and a half years now). As such, I am aware of the importance of supporting stores so that consumers can spend holiday days out shopping for clothes, food or whatever with little to no hassles. Back when I worked for 'Big Blue', even if I had a company holiday off there was still a good chance it would be my turn to have beeper duty (thus on call for critical customer emergencies and unable to head out of town).

Currently I work more directly with one retailer. That means our stores are open 364 days a year (closed on Christmas). So, days like New Years Day, Presidents Day, Good Friday, Memorial Day, 4th of July, Thanksgiving and yes, today, Labor Day are just any other kind of work day. If the holiday falls on a Monday through Friday, I'm working (unless, of course, I decide to burn a vacation day - which I usually do for Christmas and Thanksgiving).

There are definite pluses to it. First, little traffic in the mornings on the way to work. Second, I'm not missing out on a lot of stuff by not being at home. Okay, I could use the time to catch up reading or watch a movie or something, but for the most part I'm not missing much 'celebration'. Usually if we do something to celebrate, it is at dinner time. And I'm home for that so I get to eat and not be bogged down with all the set-up, etc.

So, if you're out and about today and interact with some sales clerks or wait-staff at a restaurant, take a moment and remember to smile and say thank you. They'll appreciate the little gesture.

No comments: