Thursday, September 20, 2007

Back To You


Last night I tuned in to FOX at 8pm to record a new show for my wife who was working late. It wasn't a show I had major interest in watching but I sat through it anyway. It was Back To You, the new comedy starring Kelsey Grammer (Cheers, Frasier) and Patricia Heaton (Everybody Loves Raymond). For a pilot episode, it was okay.

It reminded me a lot of other classic television newsroom type sitcoms. There was touches of Mary Tyler Moore (like Fred Willard's sportscaster character having some hints of "Ted Baxter" to him), Murphy Brown (like the young news producer who panics a lot when his talent is late ala "Miles Silverburg") and even some of Good Morning, Miami (like the hot latina weather girl).

Despite all of these been-there-done-that elements, the show was pretty good. There was a little twist in store for Grammer's anchorman when he returns from the big news market of Los Angeles back to Alleghany (I'm assuming somewhere in the north-east, possibly western NY where I was from). And that twist should keep the show interesting for a bit.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Martin, I taped this so I'm looking forward to seeing it (especially as it is supposed to take place in Pgh, my office building is in their "news backdrop"!)

But to be honest, I'm really surprised you watched this and not "Kid Nation", the new "survival reality show" on CBS with only kids, no adults. It was MUCH better than I'd anticipated, I even teared up in a couple spots...