Saturday, November 12, 2022

Book Review: 21-Hit Wonder


As one of the most renowned, multi-platinum songwriters and producers in the game, Sam Hollander has written and produced for the likes of Panic! At The Disco, One Direction, Katy Perry, Ringo Starr, Def Leppard, Carole King, Weezer, blink-182, Jewel, Train, Fitz and the Tantrums, Billy Idol, Tom Morello, and many others. But before he was stacking Billboard hits, Hollander was piling up calamitous flops, false starts, and feeling like the world was moving on and up without him while he spun in place. Today he wears that decade of misses like a badge of honor.

In 21-Hit Wonder: Flopping My Way to the Top of the Charts, he’s collected anecdotes from his wild music industry rollercoaster ride to help aspiring songwriters and other creatives learn about survival, endurance, scheming, hustle, and the importance of laughing even on the worst days of the journey. Music lovers spanning generations and genres will find stories about many of their heroes and industry icons.

Sam Hollander's story comes out on December 6, 2022. BenBella Books provided an early galley for review.

First off, I have to recognize the foreward by Paul Williams, a song writer who I have enjoyed my entire life. Paul has praise for Sam, so that goes a long way with this reader.

Admittedly, Sam's name is not one of those I recognize - which is certainly a failure on my part. Checking my music library, I found I only had four tracks credited to him as a writer/co-writer. However, I immediately got into his story as he is an engaging storyteller. I suspect that means he's also an engaging songwriter. I like that he takes the time to put it all out there, talking about the missteps and mistakes on his road to pursuing his dream of getting into the music industry. He never loses sight of his dream even when the odds seem totally stacked against him achieving it. That makes the success he has earned all the more sweeter.

No comments: