Sunday, June 8, 2014

Siouxsie and the Banshees - Hyaena

Today (June 8th) marks the thirtieth anniversary of Hyaena, the sixth studio album from Siouxsie and the Banshees. This 1984 release went to number 98 in Australia, number 50 in Sweden, number 18 in New Zealand and number 15 in the UK. Here in the US, it spent seven weeks on the Billboard Album chart and peaked at number 157.

The Cure's Robert Smith joined the band for this album, playing guitar and keyboards.


Side one begins with "Dazzle". It has a rich, orchestrated opening that gives it a dream-like quality. It then explodes into a dark alternative rock vibe. As the first single, it charted at number 33 in the UK.

The voracious "We Hunger" is next. The urgency of the composition brings to mind forbidden fruit.

"Take Me Back" spins and swirls about like a seductive hypnotist.

"Belladonna" beckons next.

"Swimming Horses", the first single, went to number 28 in the UK. It effortlessly transitions through irregular rhythms throughout.

Side two starts with "Dear Prudence", a cover of the Beatles 1968 song. As a single, this version went to number 10 in Ireland and number 3 in the UK. I like this version a lot; I will hear it at least once a week or more on SiriusXM First Wave, when I have that channel on in the van.

"Bring Me the Head of the Preacher Man" returns back to the dark side.

"Running Town" follows.

The percussion and the opening vocals of "Pointing Bone" are almost ritualistic.

The seven minute long "Blow the House Down" brings to a close the original vinyl release. The Arabian elements are interesting.

I have Hyaena a listen over at Spotify. As I have noted previously, I never was all that into Siouxsie and the Banshees back in the 80's, and their music is a little far-out there for me today. It is just not something I think I would find myself listening to that often is all.

For more of my reviews of the work by Siouxsie and the Banshees, click here.

No comments: