Thursday, June 12, 2014

A Taste of Honey - Another Taste

This month marks the thirty-fifth anniversary of Another Taste, the second studio album from A Taste of Honey. This 1979 release spent thirteen weeks on the US Billboard Album chart, peaking at number 59. It also hit number 26 on the US Billboard R&B chart.

The band included Hazel Payne (guitar and lead vocals), Janice Johnson (bass and lead vocals), Perry Kibble (keyboards) and Donald Johnson (drums).


Side one opens with the simmering mid-tempo "Do It Good". As the first single, it went to number 79 on the US Billboard Hot 100, number 72 on the US Billboard Disco chart, and number 13 on the US Billboard R&B chart. I picked up an odd chord on the chorus that almost sounds like it is out of place; obviously since it is repeated it was an intentional thing.

"The Rainbow's End" here symbolizes the climatic peak of a love encounter.

"Dance", as you would guess, sings the praises of the disco movement. I don't like how it just ends abruptly.

The B-side to the first single was the light and airy "I Love You". I actually prefer this track slightly more to the single's A-side. The musical arrangement is very pleasant.

Side two begins with "Race", the very funky second single about a dance competition.

The next track wafts in on a gentle breeze. "Let's Begin" was the B-side to the second and third singles.

"Take the Boogie or Leave It" was release as the third single. Now, this is a bit more of what I was hoping for with this record. It has a good energy to it.

The album closes with the mellow ballad "Your Love".

While I knew of A Taste of Honey from the hit singles from their 1978 debut, this was my first listen to Another Taste. Honestly, it was just an okay record for me; I found the grooves pleasant but there was not enough here screaming out to me "must buy". Most of the record seemed to lack that edge of the debut hits. Maybe I will revisit this one another time to see if that opinion changes.

No comments: