Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Eurogliders - This Island

This month marks the thirtieth anniversary of This Island, the second studio album from the Australian band Eurogliders. It spent eleven weeks on the US Billboard Album chart, peaking at number 140. In their home country, it went all the way to number 4.


The line-up for the band included Grace Knight (vocals), Crispin Akerman (guitar), Amanda Vincent (keyboards), Bernie Lynch (keyboards), Ron Francois (bass) and John Bennetts (drums).

Side one begins with the mid-tempo "Heaven (Must Be There)". As the third single, it went to number 65 on the US Billboard Hot 100, number 47 in Canada, number 21 on the US Mainstream Rock charts, number 6 in New Zealand and number 2 in Australia. This is one of those songs that those of us in the 80's will instantly recognize when we hear it, even if we cannot remember who actually performed it. The copy I have in my digital library likely came off a compilation album somewhere. I like the vocal harmonies on the chorus.

"Someone" has a slinky, jerky rhythm to it that gets my feet tapping along.

"No Action" was the first single, released back in March of 1983. It went to number 97 in Australia. The track has a compelling percussion to it that reminds me a little bit of another Australian band, INXS.

The mid-tempo "Never Say" is next.

The up-beat and optimistic "Maybe Only I Dream" was the fourth single; it charted at number 56 in Australia.

The somber "Cold Comfort" reflects upon the troubled times in Israel at the time.

Side two starts with the bouncy beats of "Another Day in the Big World". This second single was first released in December of 1983 and went to number 66 in Australia.

The intense "Keep It Quiet" emphasizes the importance of keeping some things secret.

"Nothing to Say" paints the picture of a woman who is so over her life that she is just going through the motions daily.

"Judy's World" is about a woman lost in her own interpretation of reality.

"Waiting For You" has a funky and gritty edge to it.

The original vinyl release ends with "It's the Way".

Later CD packages included "Without You" and "Listen", B-sides to the two of singles.

For my first listen to This Island via Spotify, I have to say that I enjoyed it quite a bit. I like how the group changes up the lead singers; that gives the album a lot of variety. This is definitely a record I would have picked up back in 1984 had it come up on my radar. Of course, it has been added to my to-buy list.

No comments: