Thursday, April 24, 2014

Change - Change of Heart

Change was an Italian-American dance music group formed by Jacques Fred Petrus and Mauro Malavasi. The two oversaw a studio band with a revolving roster of musicians and singers. This week (April 23rd) marks the thirtieth anniversary of Change of Heart, the fifth album from the group. It spent fifteen weeks on the US Billboard Album chart, peaking at number 102. It also went to number 34 in the UK, number 24 in the Netherlands and number 15 on the US Billboard R&B chart.


Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis were involved as producers. Timmy Allen provided bass, keyboards and lead vocals. Rick Brennen and Deborah Cooper provided both lead and backing vocals. Vince Henry on guitar and saxophone, Michael Campbell on guitar, Jeff Bova on keyboards and Toby Johnson on drums rounded out the performers.

Side one starts with "Say You Love Me Again". As the third single, this gently rolling mid-tempo R&B ballad went to number 94 in the UK.

"Change of Heart" was released as the first single. It went to number 17 in the Netherlands, the UK and on the US Billboard Dance chart, number 14 in Ireland, and number 7 on the US Billboard R&B chart. I can hear the Minneapolis influence of Jam and Lewis on this seven minute dance groove.

The mid-tempo dance track "Warm" is one woman's offer to comfort a man when his girlfriend turns on him. Her motivation is not purely selfless though.

"True Love" closes out the first side with a mid-tempo love song.

Side two starts with "You Are My Melody"; as the second single it went to number 48 in the UK.

"Lovely Lady", another praising number, is next.

"Got My Eyes on You" reminds me of my clubbing days during college, when a stranger would catch my eye and I made it my mission that night to dance with her.

The closing track "It Burns Me Up" was released a promotional only single. It got enough airplay to reach number 61 on the US Billboard R&B chart. The lyrics of this one tell of a woman who is tired of waiting for a man to call her back.

I cannot recall ever hearing these songs from Change back in the day. If I did, it was likely in a club and thus I never put a name to the grooves. Since this record falls right in line with my usual mid-80's dance music, Change of Heart is going on to my seek-out-to-buy list.

No comments: