Thursday, August 27, 2009

DVD review - Angel season 5 episodes 3 and 4

Continuing my viewing/reviewing of Angel season 5...

SPOILERS

A5-3: Unleashed (written by Fain and Craft, airdate 10/15/03)

Werewolves? Yawn. I didn't find the story of Nina very interesting until she was kidnapped. The idea of the restaurant patrons paying top dollar to eat a delicacy, alive - now that was just twisted enough to be cool. But, beyond that it was a lot of been-there-seen-that type of stuff. I disliked the doctor so I am glad he got what was coming to him. I did like the interactions of Fred with Spike and her promising to find a way to restore him. At least she can be objective about him.

A5-4: Hell Bound (written by Steven S. DeKnight, airdate 10/22/03)

Okay, instant wiggins! I jumped when we saw the basement dude cutting his own fingers. This whole episode had a nice creepy feel to it - this show has been missing a lot of that this season. Again, focus on Spike and Fred's quest to help him gets big props from me. I also loved the talk Angel and Spike finally had (about both being convinced they are both going to Hell someday) - and I had to laugh when Angel admitted he always liked Spike's poems. Bwahahaha. I liked the blonde medium - even for a one-shot character she was very interesting (more so than wolf-Nina last episode). The Reaper was sufficiently creepy. I wonder if we'll see him back out of confinement someday. Loved how Spike sacrificed his own well-being for Fred. Oh, and is just me or does Amy Acker make the word "corporeal" sound really sexy?

No comments: