Saturday, August 22, 2026

Book Review: Like Water for Chocolate


In well-born Mexican families, tradition dictates that the youngest daughter not marry, but remain at home to care for her mother. Even though Tita has fallen in love, Mama Elena chooses not to make an exception, and instead, arranges for Tita's older sister to marry Tita's young man.

In order to punish Tita for her willfulness, Mama Elena forces her to bake the wedding cake. The bitter tears Tita weeps while stirring the batter provoke a remarkable reaction among the guests who eat the cake. It is then that it first becomes apparent that her culinary talents are unique.

Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel was published in January 1989 in Mexico. It was translated, from Spanish to English, by Carol and Thomas Christensen.

I knew of the 1992 movie which adapted this novel, though I had not seen it. An online friend of mine suggested I give this a read.

The book is broken into twelve chapters as months, but they are not all concurrent. Each chapter is also titled after a culinary dish with invredients up front and cooking instructions woven into the story. it is a very different approach that works here.

The story has strong themes about love, tradition, sacrifice, passions with a little bit of spice thrown in for good measure. It is a read that moves quickly. Overall, I liked it though can see it might not be everyone's cup of tea.

No comments: