Sunday, December 24, 2023

Book Review: The Most Relaxing Video Games


Video games are so much more than just full throttle blasts of gunfights, violence and white-knuckle competition. They can also be beautiful, cosy and even emotionally uplifting journeys too. The ideal escapism after a day you’d sooner forget or the perfect sedative following a particularly stress-filled afternoon.

The Most Relaxing Video Games will walk you through a selection of gaming experiences sure to help you unwind. From the familiar warmth of sitting down with a good classic board game (51 of them to be exact) through to the solving of hundreds of puzzles on a mysterious island using nothing but lines, there’s a world of delightfully comforting video games just waiting to sooth your gaming soul.

The Most Relaxing Video Games by Ryan Janes will be published March 30, 2024. Pen and Sword books provided an early galley for review.

Like the author, I have been playing video games for a large portion of my life, and I often use them as a release valve to burn off stress or to just unwind. So, I was definitely in the target demographic for his book.

Some titles were known to me while others were all-new discoveries that I just might have to seek out. I like that there are plenty of full-color screen-shots included with the details about each game. That is always a good way to get a feel for the game. Also, the "did you know?" section at the end of each game description offers some fun trivia about the game.

My only minor quibble is the use of the term "relaxing" to categorize all of these games. The dictionary defines "relaxing" as "reducing tension or anxiety". While many of these games do fall into the category, there are a few that have quite a bit of tense or anxious moments to them (I am looking at you Portal 2). I think "low-key" works a bit better for me. Still, it is a fun book with lots of great games included.

No comments: