Friday, October 28, 2022

Book Review: The World Deserves My Children


When Natasha Leggero got pregnant at forty-two after embarking on the grueling IVF process, she was over the moon. But once her feelings of bliss dissipated, she couldn’t help but shake the lingering question: Am I doing this right? And then, Should I be doing this if the world is about to end?

In The World Deserves My Children, Natasha explores themes like “geriatric” motherhood, parenting in an environmental panic, fear and love, discipline (and conflicting schools of thought on how not to raise a brat), and more. Ultimately, Natasha determines that motherhood is worth it. After all, where do you think the next five generations of humans will be if the only people who are having kids don’t believe in science? The world deserves my children.

Her first book will be released on November 15 of 2022. Gallery Books offered an early galley for review.

First off, full disclosure: I simply adore Natasha Leggero. I find her comedy hilarious and a reflection back on the great women of comedy I grew up on in the 70's and 80's. She is bold, brash and beautiful. I will gladly watch any program or comedy special she does. So, choosing to read her book was a no-brainer for me.

It was everything I knew it would be. She retells her life before motherhood and after, and she does it in that style that fans have come to know and love about her. She takes loving jabs at her comic husband Moshe Kashe much the same way many new mothers do at new fathers. I did enjoy the chapter that is a conversation between the two of them; I found that so enlightening. Having gone through the parenthood experience, I could relate to her stories even though I'm a father.

All in all, Natasha hits upon some very key points about parenting. They resonated with me as I am sure they will with other readers as well. And I also found myself smiling and laughing - which I knew I would.

No comments: