Wednesday, July 27, 2022

Book Review: Noisemaker


Inspired by the sonic anarchy of The Clash and The Sex Pistols, teenager Billy Stamp flees a chaotic family life in Halifax to drum his way to superstardom in punk-era London. But Billy is woefully unprepared for a city populated with tattooed skinheads and violent thugs, rock wannabes and, worst of all, universal indifference to his talent. As Billy stumbles through the music scene, playing punk clubs and dank pubs, his search for the perfect groove forces him to choose sides in the battle between art and commerce.

Part ghost story, part fictionalized memoir, Noisemaker by Andy Tolson is a love letter to when thrashing guitars, pounding drums, and the three minute pop song ruled the world. It comes out on September 1st, 2022. Moose House Publications provided an early galley for review.

The cover of this upcoming novel attracted me to the book. As a kid of the 70's, the cassette tape on the stark cover screamed out to me - very much like the punk rock sound out of the UK did to so many youth of the 70's. It is bare, raw and instantly recognizable. I knew I had to check this book out.

As a writer, I really connected to Tolson's style. He pulled me instantly into the story of Billy who escapes his life in Canada to explore the gritty UK world that is home to his musical inspirations. I quickly found myself going from chapter to chapter, wanting to continue to see how the story unfolded. Of course, that's part of what I expected after learning of the author's own experience as a Canadian born drummer who played in London clubs in the 80's. We always say in writing group "write what you know". And here it works; Billy's story comes across as very authentic and real.

This is one I am going to recommend highly to my friends who are music fans and readers. They are going to enjoy this story as much as I did. And Tolson is definitely an author I will continue to watch for in the future.

No comments: