Friday, October 3, 2014

Joan Jett and the Blackhearts - Glorious Results of a Misspent Youth

Earlier this week (on the 1st) was the thirtieth anniversary of Glorious Results of Misspent Youth, the fourth studio album from Joan Jett and the Blackhearts. It spent twenty-one weeks on the US Billboard Album chart, peaking at number 67.


Side one begins with “Cherry Bomb”, a remake of Jett’s former hit with the Runaways, charted at number 55 on the US Billboard Dance chart. The song about a rebellious teenaged woman remains timeless. It was used as part of the soundtrack on this summer’s Marvel blockbuster Guardians of the Galaxy (a film my entire family loved – go see it!). The version here is a bit slower, more methodic and primed for explosion.

“I Love You Love Me Love”, the lead single, stalled at number 105 on the US Billboard Hot 200. This winding-guitar rocker was a cover of Gary Glitter’s UK number 1 single from 1973. This wasn’t the first time Jett paid tribute to Glitter; she did so on her debut album with “Do You Wanna Touch Me (Oh Yeah)”.

“Frustrated”, the first of a number of collaborations on the album between Jett and her long-time producer Kenny Laguna, keeps with that classic rock vibe. This one reminds me a bit of the Stones and the Who. It ends with an extended, guitar-only riff.

The tone shifts with “Hold Me”, an intimate and personal number. It shows a lot of vulnerability, not something I would instantly associate with Jett’s tough-rocker image. It is a nice change of pace.

“Long Time” opens with a high-octane rhythm to it that instantly harkens back to “Bad Reputation” from her debut.

“Talking ‘Bout My Baby” is one of my favorite deep tracks on the record. It has a solid blend of hard rocking with 60’s girl-group sensibilities. I love the way the guitars ring out here.

Side two starts with “I Need Someone”, an early days of rock-n-roll number written by Peter Falciglia and Carlo Mastrangelo that was first recorded by Dion and the Belmonts in 1961.

The mid-tempo “Love Like Mine” is another Jett and Laguna composition. Here, Jett points out she’s not the girl next door and that loving her would be a different experience than you might have had before.

“New Orleans”, written by Frank Guida and Joseph Royster, was first recorded by Gary U.S. Bonds in 1960. This hand-clap along classic is a lot of fun. Jett is always in her element when she pays homage to her rock influences as she does here.

“Someday”, another original, is a premeditative promise for payback. Jett is not someone I would want on my wrong side.

“Push and Stomp” is a song about getting out your frustrations through dancing.

The album closes with “I Got No Answers”, a mellow introspective number about life and the ways of the world.

In 1984, this one from Joan Jett and the Blackhearts completely was off my radar. I knew her hit singles from the years prior, but since I was not into as much album-oriented rock at the time I failed to pick up on the record. When I got into it though was in 2009 when I added it up for my then-growing digital music library. This was the full nineteen track version of the CD release from 1998, which included dance mixes of both the singles and the non-album B-sides. Glorious Results of a Misspent Youth is a decent rock record, performed by musicians who were keeping the roots of rock alive for a whole new generation. It was a strong counter to what was predominant on the charts at the time, but variety is the spice of life.

For more of my reviews of Joan Jett’s albums, click here.

No comments: