Monday, December 23, 2013

Indeep - Last Night a DJ Saved My Life

Back in June of this year, the thirtieth anniversary of Last Night a DJ Saved My Life occurred. This 1983 debut by the New York City based Indeep (musician Michael Cleveland, and singers Rejane Magloire and Rose Marie Ramsey) spent ten weeks on the US Billboard Album charts, peaking at number 43.


Side one begins with “Buffalo Bill”. As the third single, it stalled at number 81 on the US Billboard R&B chart. Backed by a steady mid-tempo beat and sound-effect samples, the ladies rap about keeping those club players in check.

“Love Is Like a Gun” tells the tale of a cheating man and the woman who contemplates revenge.

The title track is next. “Last Night a DJ Saved My Life” first hit the clubs and airwaves in late 1982. As the lead single, it charted at number 18 in Ireland, number 13 in the UK, number 10 on the US Billboard R&B chart, and number 2 in the Netherlands and on the US Billboard Dance chart. In thinking back, I am certain I heard this one back in the day, out at clubs or such, but I never completely registered who the group was. I even recall folks using the phrase “away those troubles down the drain” which comes from one of the rap lines here.

Side two starts with “Slow Down”, a smooth groove about taking things carefully in a new relationship. I like how the singers really harmonize on this one.

“Lipstick Politics” is full of female-empowerment, backed by a saxophone filled dance rhythm.

“When Boys Talk”, the second single, went to number 67 in the UK, number 32 on the US Billboard R&B chart and number 16 on the US Dance chart. Its lyrics warn men who tend to brag about their sexual encounters with their buddies that they need to watch what they say.

“There It Is” closes out the album with a James Brown-like jam.

In 1991, The Collection was released on CD that included every track from both this album and the group’s 1984 follow up Pajama Party Time.

I was familiar with the title track of this one thanks to a Rhino Records disco compilation series that came out in the early 90‘s. When I stumbled across The Collection for a great price recently, I downloaded it. Indeep lays down the kind of dance music I was very much into during my high school and college days. If you are interested, you can check it out on Spotify as well.

1 comment:

HERC said...

Misheard lyrics?

I believe the line is:

Cause away goes trouble down the drain
Said away goes trouble down the drain