Friday, October 9, 2009

Comics of the Week (10/7/09)

Batman: the Brave and the Bold #9 - it's a team-up between the bat and the cat, men that is. It was a fun story and a chance to see other Gotham villains in this new animated style. The story certainly has to take place prior to the Catman appearance in the cartoon (when Batman and Bathound took out Catman and his jungle cat). Still, a good introduction to the character for kids.

Justice League: Cry For Justice #4 (of 7) - another solid issue from the creative team. Again, I am loving Robinson's text pieces that focus on certain characters and what they mean to him, why he uses them, etc. I like that look into the creative process a lot and it helps me better look at my own writing too. I look forward to Robinson taking over writing on the main JLA book next month.

R.E.B.E.L.S. Annual #1 - multiple creators take this issue to give us a look into the origins and minions of Starro the Conqueror. This series is showing us that everything we knew about Starro before 2009 was just the surface. I was a bit disappointed to see what happened when STC meet Despero - but this series seems to be doing quite a bit of wholesale slaughter in the DC cosmos.

Strange Adventures #8 (of 8) - hmmm, this one hit the end way too abruptly and there seems like a lot more story left to go. Of course Starlin left it with some unresolved plot threads - all the better to get another mini out of the deal. We'll see what happens on that front. In hindsight, I probably could have skipped this one and not have felt like I missed much. Ah well - you buys your ticket and takes your chances.

1 comment:

KC Ryan said...

Yeah, I liked that Brave and Bold Catman too!