Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Eddy Grant - Going For Broke

This month marks the thirtieth anniversary of Going For Broke, the eighth studio album from Eddy Grant. The 1984 release spent seventeen weeks on the US Billboard Album chart, peaking at number 64.


Side one begins with "Romancing the Stone", the title track for the romantic-comedy-adventure movie starring Michael Douglas, Kathleen Turner and Danny DeVito. This second single went to number 68 on the US Billboard R&B chart, number 52 in the UK, number 42 in Germany, number 39 on the US Billboard Mainstream Rock chart, number 28 in New Zealand, number 26 on the US Billboard Hot 100 and number 12 on the US Billboard Dance chart. I have always liked the driving beat on this song; it was fun to dance to back in the day. Grant has a scorching guitar solo for the bridge.

"Boys in the Street" was released as a third single, but it failed to make much noise on any of the charts. I vaguely remember this song; I suspect I may have caught the video on MTV a few times. It has a funky edge to it, and I like the deep voices on the chorus.

"Come On Let Me Love You" is next.

"Till I Can't Take Love No More", the mid-tempo first single, went to number 42 in the UK, number 37 in Belgium, number 26 in Germany and number 14 in Switzerland.

The side closes with "Political Bassa-Bassa".

Side two starts with "Telepathy", a synth heavy tune about the ability to read minds. This one is more new-wave than reggae.

"Only Heaven Knows" calls out a girl on her true nature, which she keeps hidden from most people. Her abused boyfriend knows the truth though.

the mid-tempo "Ire Harry" is next.

"Rock You Good" is a smooth promise of good loving.

The closing track of the vinyl release was "Blue Wave", a slow and sad goodbye.

I found a playlist on YouTube so I could listen to most of Going For Broke for this review. That was really my first exposure to most of the tracks, outside of the few that cropped up on the charts and MTV. I liked it as well as I did Eddy Grant's previous album Killer on the Rampage (click here for that review). The blend of reggae and rock worked very well for him.

No comments: