Thursday, September 17, 2009

Comics of the Week (9/16/09)

Blackest Night #3 (of 8) - It is time for Flash, Green Lantern and a few other friends to face the Undead League. I pity them. Once again, Johns and Reis do an outstanding job as this story continues to unfold. Great character moments that draw from the rich history of the League and their relationships. And, they did something amazing - they made me care a bit about the new Firestorm. Nice job. If you're not reading this one - you're missing out! Get ready to get those trades!

the Brave and the Bold #27 - the cover announces the team-up of Batman with Dial H For Hero and we learn on page 1 that means Robby Reed. But, wait - isn't Robby all grown up? What's going on? When does this take place? Who is behind the mask? Very confusing. Worse yet, the story paints Robby Reed in an unflattering light. Sad. I expected better and was very much disappointed. This might have flown in the animated B&B book, but in the mainstream title I just can't accept the flaws.

R.E.B.E.L.S. #8 - the Omega Men get ready to take on Starro, with some interesting results. Also, Bedard and Clarke mine in the rich history of the L.E.G.I.O.N. too. Unlike the previous comic, this one embraces the rich past and builds on it - it does not ignore it. I like that.

Showcase Presents: Warlord vol. 1 - I have to plug this. Mike Grell's groundbreaking adventure book for DC gets the SP treatment - giving us 29 issues from 1975 to 1979. Sweet! And Grell's art looks fantastic in the black/white format. This was one I was looking forward to, and I am glad he was willing to negotiate the royalties deal. I hope we see a second on that continues the title.

No comments: