Thursday, June 23, 2016

Rod Stewart - Rod Stewart (Every Beat of My Heart)

Today (June 23rd) marks the thirtieth anniversary of the self-titled fourteenth studio album from Rod Stewart, known also as Every Beat of My Heart. This 1986 record went to number 28 in Japan, number 16 in Australia, number 13 in the Netherlands, number 12 in Norway, number 9 in Canada, number 5 in the UK, number 4 in Germany, and number 3 in Sweden. Here in the US, it spent nineteen weeks on the Billboard Album chart with a top spot of number 28.


Side one begins with "Here To Eternity", a mid-tempo love song about a man falsely accused of and sentenced for a crime. This one reminds me of the story-songs that were so prominent during the 60's and 70's.

"Another Heartache", the second single, broke at number 54 in the UK, number 52 on the US Billboard Hot 100, number 45 on the US Billboard
Mainstream Rock chart, and number 24 in Ireland. I can honestly say that this mid-tempo rocker did not stir any old recollections as I listen to it.

"A Night Like This" has a very classic Stewart sound, both in its up-tempo rhythm and lyrical theme of an inexperienced young man on the verge of his first lovemaking encounter with a more seasoned woman.

"Who's Gonna Take Me Home" is a rousing, mid-tempo tune about a party-goer who gets a little out of control. I like its sassy attitude.

The energy continues as the side comes to a close with "Red Hot in Black". Like the previous two songs, this one perfectly fits in Stewart's old rocking wheelhouse. I can easily see him tearing this one up live in concert.

Side two opens with "Love Touch" which was featured on the soundtrack of the 1986 comedy Legal Eagles starring Robert Redford, Debra Winger and Daryl Hannah. As the lead single, it went to number 27 in the UK, number 26 on the US Billboard Mainstream Rock chart, number 17 in New Zealand, number 14 in Germany, number 13 in Switzerland, number 12 in Australia, number 11 in Sweden, number 8 in Ireland, number 6 on the US Billboard Hot 100, and number 5 on the US Billboard Adult Contemporary chart. I do remember this one from the radio, MTV, and hearing it out at parties and the clubs back during my junior year of college. It had a nice and easy sing-along chorus.

Things slow down with "In My Own crazy Way", a swaying ballad that starts with a simple piano accompaniment. I could easily see this one done in a very traditional country style.

The third single, the ballad "Every Beat of My Heart", peaked at number 53 on the US Billboard Hot 100, number 32 in New Zealand, number 26 in Australia, number 14 in Germany, number 11 in the Netherlands and Switzerland, and number 2 in Ireland and the UK. The lyrics tell of a man searching for home. I have to admit that this one doesn't do much for me, however the bagpipes to give it a nice traditional folk song touch.

The bagpipes continue faintly in the opening of "Ten Days of Rain".

The album closes with a cover of the Beatles' 1965 song "In My Life". Though released as a single, Stewart's version failed to chart. As a
slower ballad, I do like the way this one comes across.

Back in 1986, I really was not into Rod Stewart much outside of the songs that came across the radio. A number of years ago, I did pick up a CD box set of five of his albums which included this one. Older me definitely can appreciate this one more than college age me would have. Back then, all I wanted to do is dance.

For more from Rod Stewart, click here

1 comment:

HERC said...

Big big Rod Stewart fan but took a hard pass on this one back in 1986. Haven't heard it since my girlfriend soon to be wife bought it back then and insisted we listen to it before we did "stuff".

Only recently added it to CD library in last two or three years after finding a sealed copy for a buck. It is still sealed.

Sold wife's copy as part of our1987/88 sell off to pay hospital bills.