Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Meghan Trainor - Title

Last week (on September 9th), twenty year old Meghan Trainor released a four track EP called Title. This was her first release on a major label; in 2011 she also had two independent label releases.


The first track is “All About That Bass”, an anthem that promotes body image acceptance. She co-wrote the song with Grammy nominated Kevin Kadish who also produced the track. The single preceeded the release of the EP and continues to climb the charts all over the globe. Here in the US, it has already reached the number 1 spot on the Billboard Hot 100. I loved the song the very first time I heard it on the radio this summer, and it has become my favorite song of 2014. I have managed to even get my wife hooked on it, mostly from my turning up the volume and singing along to it every time it comes on the radio in my van. I enjoy the throwback sound to it musically; for me it harkens back to the girl group songs of the early 1960’s.

“Title” has a country and reggae blend to it, with a little bit of hip-hop thrown in for good measure. The lyrics portray a firm stance that a guy needs to step up and take the relationship from friendship to something a whole lot more.

“Dear Future Husband”, the next single from Trainor, is a list of things that a guy needs to know to be with her. Again, we have a wonderful doo-wop refrain to the chorus that brings to mind the 1961 hit “Runaround Sue” from Dion.

The final track is “Close Your Eyes”, a beautiful ballad that further showcases Trainor’s lovely vocals.

I only got Title this past weekend, and it has already dropped heavily into my listening rotation. If you want to give it a listen yourself, you can find it over on Spotify. If you are like me, you will be hooked. I look forward to more from Meghan Trainor and predict that this is just the beginning of a long successful career for her. I am definitely a life-long fan.

1 comment:

HERC said...

I liked how your review was all about the bass with no treble.