Sunday, February 22, 2009

Comics of the Week (2/18/09)

Brave and the Bold #22 - Green Arrow gets cover billing but he does little. The Phantom Stranger is finally crucial to the story line, but the story for me was weak. I didn't care about the characters unique to the tale, and I didn't like how most of the heroes were portrayed either. Bleech. A waste of four issues for me.

the Outsiders #15 - following up from last week's special, Alfred tells the group that they must give up everything for the mission. What? Seriously? While I can see some of these folks willing to do it, I cannot see Black Lightning doing so. He's in the JLA for crying out loud. Why drop that to be an Outsider? It just doesn't work for me. I'll give the story the first arc to convince me otherwise, but I am not holding my breath.

Justice League of America #30 - turning their own shadows against the heroes? Yawn. Not a good issue at all. The Milestone characters mostly fade into the background and Dr. Light gets a souped up costume. That's it? I'm expecting more since Starbreaker has yet to rear his head. We'll see if the story can improve or not.

Tangent: Superman's Reign #12 (of 12) - it is finally over. Man, was that so pointless. Eleven issues build up to a full battle issue and it just ties up as the pages run out. This definitely should have been a shorter series - like maybe six issues. It was just too drawn out. Unless you have any interest in the Tangent universe, skip it.

Trinity #38 - another great cover to start off. Then we find the wayward six confronting the trinity in hopes they'll remember who they are supposed to be. On the backside, the evil arcana seems to be winning the war with one final battlefront left - Metropolis!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nothing to do with your post, but I saw you on the GIT forum. I tried to post there, but the site isn't allowing anyone not registered to post...or to register.

Anyway, I was trying to tell you guys that Circuit City is closing their stores, and I got the GIT Star Trek set for $20.00. Try different stores. Some may still have some of the Marvel sets.

Hope I'm not abusing your blog; just thought you'd like to know & maybe spread the word.

CT

KC Ryan said...

Hmm... I actually liked the JLA thing, though I would have liked certain parts dragged out a little bit. Looks like Icon's going to replace Supes in the JLA after next issue, that ought to be interesting. Similarly, I loved Doner's comments throughout this book and the last one... looks like fun.
And I never connected the Shadowslide and the Shadow Thief's powers upgrade. My bad. :)

KC